Listen to this BONUS Episode by clicking the play bar below:
Hey there, 💛
Just a note of encouragement and a reminder to breathe.
Even if you have a child (or children) at home or an entire classroom of children to plan for virtually, with all of the amazing resources that are available online for us today, there is no need for you to create resources from scratch.
My team and I have been hard at work to create this list of educational resources and websites for parents and teachers to help support children's learning at home during this challenging time.
If we've missed a resource that you think should be added, please add it in the comments below and we will work on adding it!
Also, I'm creating a FREE five-part video series to help parents to inspire and motivate young readers at home, which you can access on my Beginning Teacher Talk Facebook Page or on my @drlorifriesen IGTV channel. I will also be releasing a five-part video series to help work with children in writing at home, which will be available next week.
Stay safe & remember to lead with positivity for your kiddos. We are all in this together.
Sending you huge love wherever you are,
💕 Lori xo
P.S. If you LOVE this list and want to keep a copy for your files, just click the pic below to get your hands on a PDF download, loaded with all 54 hotlinks!
2. Reading to kids is wonderful and everything, but reading to kids from space is super awesome! Check out Story Time from Space!
3. Stuck at Home? These 12 Famous Museums Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take on Your Couch!
4. Or, prefer to hang out with Kevin Costner, Betty White, or Kristen Bell in your living room? You might want to check out Storyline Online, a collection of popular children's books read by celebrities!
5. Have you checked out some of the coolest podcasts for kids? "What If World" is a storytelling podcast for kids. Each week, Mr. Eric takes a "what if?" question from a friend and spins it into a story just for you!
6. Nothing gets kiddos more engaged than animals, which is why you've got to check out Animal Planet's website. Their new series, "Too Cute" features watching puppies play and is completely free!
Or, check out their amazing live-cams of wild animals for some Uber-engagement!
7. Time to binge-watch Netflix, kid-style? They're going to love this Magic School Bus series!
8. Maybe it's time to get creative. Check out these awesome Online Art Classes for kids - they are an amazing resource! These free opportunities for art that can be done anywhere, anytime!
9. Get motivating reading practice with your kiddos by trying out some new recipes with Cooking with Kids!
10. PBS Kids: Educational games and videos from Curious George, Wild Kratts and other PBS KIDS shows!
11. Science Bob: Find easy science experiments, watch experiment videos, and get Science Fair ideas from Science Bob!
12. Can't get enough science? Check out this article by Bored Teachers: 40 Science Websites to Keep Kids Engaged and Entertained at Home
13. Need a little music break? You're going to love 15 Broadway Plays and Musicals You Can Watch On Stage From Home!
14. Want somebody ELSE to read your kiddos a story? Then it's time to check out GetEpic today...
15. Do your kiddos need a movement break? Go Noodle never disappoints!
16. WeAreTeachers offers a HUGE collection of online resources, information, activities, and printables to keep your kiddos moving and busy at home!
17. In addition, SUPER Teacher Worksheets offers printable worksheets and activities for teachers, parents, tutors, and homeschool families. Subjects include math, reading, writing, science, social studies, and more!
18. Scholastic: Find the best books, literary resources and educational solutions for kids at Scholastic, a leader in publishing and education for nearly 100 years.
19. Want some vocabulary and spelling practice? It's Vocabulary Spelling City to the rescue. 😉
20. From personality quizzes to weird-but-true stories, animals to exploring our world, National Geographic Kids never disappoints!
21. Need a technology break? The Ultimate List of Things to Do While School is Out was compiled by a school principal - you'll definitely want to share this list with your students & their parents!
22. Reading Rockets: Reading tips, resources, and activities for encouraging your kiddos to read at home!
23. Time for a virtual field trip? Take Your Kids on Virtual Rides of Disneyland!
24. Education.com: Get the help you need now for at-home learning with this storehouse of educational resources and activities.
25. Get your kiddos reading now with Ripley's Believe It or Not Weird News & get the answers to the questions that kids really wonder about, like "What is bug butter?" What????
26. Let's dream a little... ‘Imagineering in a Box’ is a free online program that brings together the diverse talents of Disney Imagineers around the world for a one-of-a-kind learning experience and is part of Disney’s commitment to helping today’s youth create the future they imagine.
27. Rock Your Homeschool: Discover creative ways to make life and learning fun!
28. Confessions of a Homeschooler: Fantastic resources & printables for learning at home.
29. CK12: This stands for content, classroom, customizable, connections, collaboration—the idea is that this content can be used by anyone, anywhere for free. "We believe every child on this planet should have equal access to great education."
30. 123 Homeschool 4 Me: Helping parents, teachers, and homeschoolers make learning FUN with 1 million free worksheets for prek-8th grade plus educational activities and more.
31. Khan Academy Kids: Fun, educational games & books.
32. Need a fun doodle break? You're going to love Lunch Doodles with Mo Williams!
33. Bedtime Math: Keep your kids’ math skills sharp – without screen time!
34. Times Tables Rockstars: School's closed? Then play at home! "We are offering affected schools free full access to our platform for multiplication and division throughout any school closure."
35. DreamBox Learning: Intelligent, adaptive learning meets each student where they are.
36. Dreamscape: Check out this highly engaging reading game for Grades 2-8, and all for FREE!
37. Vroom: Vroom Tips™ help you do more with your shared moments. Add learning to mealtime, bathtime, bedtime, or anytime with 1,000+ fun, free activities.
38. Make Me Genius: Science Lessons in Animation Cartoon videos for ks 1, ks2, ks3, ks4, ks5, ks6, ks7, k1, k2, k3, k4, k5, k6, k7, grade1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6.
39. Highlights Kids: Do you remember Highlights magazine from when you were a kid? You're going to love this site!
40. ABCya: Educational games for grades PreK through 6 that will keep kids engaged and having fun. Topics include math, reading, typing, just-for-fun logic games, and more!
41. The Kids Page: Explore free printable & online kids games, activities, puzzles, clip art, colouring pages and online coloring.
42. Fun Brain: Online educational games for kids of all ages in math, grammar, science, spelling, and history.
43. Disney Junior: Watch full episodes and videos of your favorite Disney Junior shows on DisneyNOW.
44. Magic Tree House: The #1 bestselling Magic Tree House series is ready to whisk you away through time with Jack and Annie!
45. E-Learning for Kids: Free and fun digital education for children worldwide.
47. Cool Math: Cool Math has free online cool math lessons, cool math games and fun math activities. Really clear math lessons are available in pre-algebra, algebra, and precalculus.
48. The National Gallery of Art Kid Zone: NGAkids interactives offer an entertaining and informative introduction to art and art history.
49. The Old Farmer's Almanac for Kids: The American classic now mixes wacky and wonderful stories, facts, and activities for children, covering weather, astronomy, gardening, history, the outdoors, nature, sports, and more.
50. Starfall Education: At Starfall, children have fun while they learn - specializing in reading, phonics & math - educational games, movies, books, songs, and more for children K-3.
51. Exploratorium: The Exploratorium isn't just a museum; it's an ongoing exploration of science, art, and human perception. Explore our vast collection of online experiences to feed your curiosity and education resources supporting online teaching and learning.
52. Turtle Diary: Introduce kids to new, exciting ways of learning with the help of fun online games, videos, experiments, puzzles, coloring sheets, and more!
53. Nickelodeon: Kids' arcade games, puzzle games, funny games, sports games, action games, racing games and more featuring your favorite characters only on Nickelodeon!
54. Just LOVE these creative Sensory Play Recipes from Mothercould!
New Websites We Just Had to Add:
55. Palm Springs Unified School District just created this brand new Supplemental Resources Website with links to activities by subject and grade level. I'm sure you'll find it helpful for your students!
Dr. Lori Friesen | Beginning Teacher Mentor
Creator of the R.E.A.D.Y. for School Academy, Dr. Lori Friesen has mentored thousands of beginning teachers across the country through her workshops and courses. Host of the popular podcast, Beginning Teacher Talk, and creator of the innovative literacy program for 1st and 2nd grade, Dogs Help Kids Read and Succeed, Dr. Lori is dedicated to serving educators and inspiring learners. Learn more at drlorifriesen.com and at howdogshelpkids.com.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news from our team. 💛💕 Your information will not be shared.